...God, who gives life to the dead, and calls into being that which did not exist.

~ Romans 4:17

More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

"I came to do the will of Him who sent me..."
~John 6:38

I believe that what it is I have been called to do will make itself known when I have made myself ready.
~J. Phillips

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Praying Out Loud


[pictures: my Croatian classmate Andro, who last Friday ordered me to get busy looking for work; Classmates on the grounds of the Int'l Red Cross; shot of singer Mindy Smith]

I am currently hooked on a song which seems to be spelling out what’s going on right now...coming out of frustration into freedom, asking God to help me come out of hiding and fear (to magnificent results), learning to claim the promises of God by faith and out loud, daring to speak to others about my big dreams. To speak something out loud by faith is to drive a stake in the ground and count on God to bring it to pass. “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

It’s a fight to do that. I get scared. I think I’m silly. It’s embarrassing to admit that I’m trying to stay where…well, everybody tries to stay. I haven't done enough to really get my job search going and I feel like I'll be punished for that. But those feelings are not of God. God convicts and inspires. Satan shames. And I will not be shamed anymore. I asked God to put me in a place where I would be able to be with others who are pursuing similar goals, and where I could most glorify Him. Being here has made me feel more like that is happening than I’ve ever experienced anywhere else. Oxford would be a close second. But this is better. I have to trust that God would not dangle this in front of me only to snatch it away.

So, this song is written and recorded by singer Mindy Smith, who happens to be a Christian. Playing it on my ipod as I walk the streets and ride the trains has given me encouragement as I take my big steps toward moving back to Europe. If you like the words, you can listen to it on her website: www.mindysmith.net Just make sure the little song box at the top of the screen has “Out Loud” on it.

Hey friend, why are we always hiding
It’s no wonder that we’re sinking down
Why should we stand in lonely shadows
When there’s so much light around

Hey friend why are we always crying
So many tears are going to dry us out
Whatever they’re selling, we have gotta stop buying
‘Cause our pockets are empty now

I’ve thought about it, and I’ve prayed about it
Out loud
We can talk about it, we can pray about it
Out loud

Hey friend, why are we always fighting
I know we’re afraid but Love is trying
To save us anyhow

I think it’s time, I need a change
I need to change
A few things

I’ve thought about it, and I’ve prayed about it
Out loud
We can talk about it, we can pray about it
Out loud

“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

No comments: