I've checked out. Almost.
Mostly.
I've got two weeks left at my job, but I'm pretty blah. I can't seem to focus on what I really need to do - work on my job hunt - and I forget everything. Every morning I wake up feeling like I've been run over by a truck. Last night I went to bed at 10pm, and I still felt exactly the same way at 7am today.
I told my friend Barbie about it. She gave me a wry sympathetic look and said, "You're just 'done'."
Done. Wow. What a concept. I'm going to be done at this job in two weeks. I've graduated from a school-of-life class that God has had me in for the last year and 11 months. I wanted to leave so badly during the first year, but in September '06, God told me, "quit trying to find something else. Your ministry is here."
So I gave in and buckled down. I learned how to work with 3 of the strongest, smartest and most diverse male personalities I've ever known, and to win a measure of respect and enjoyment from all of them. I've learned their quirks, their preferences, their no-fly-zones and achieved a stable peace. I learned when to stand up on my hind legs, fight, and win, and when to just quietly duck and keep moving. It got so good that the attorney and I could get into a shouting debate over something just for the fun of it and then laugh it off and keep going. I even got away with showing his "emergency food" stash to the CEO's assistant. He then bragged about his emergency supply stash filling the entire trunk of his car. A man's gotta have a claim to fame for something. (Just in case he finds this, he's genuinely famous for being a truly brilliant lighting engineer - and he's an audio wizard too.)
And my other boss, who drove me to tears on more occasions than I can count, is so appreciative and cool these days that it's rather amazing. I had to figure out two things in my head to deal with him: 1. think "Yes Coach!" 2. figure out his ESFP personality type and respect it. Worked amazingly well. That was a personal triumph for me.
I will miss them. I'm grateful for the encouragement and flexibility they gave me to pursue my dreams, and the built-in lessons of maturity I gained from working for them. God is sending me in a new direction now, and I walk away truly feeling like I've passed a grade.
...God, who gives life to the dead, and calls into being that which did not exist.
~ Romans 4:17
More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson
"I came to do the will of Him who sent me..."
~John 6:38
I believe that what it is I have been called to do will make itself known when I have made myself ready.
~J. Phillips
Friday, November 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment