
But being a March baby, I have a special affinity for daffodils. Ever since I saw them carpeting England in the spring of 1999, I just love their color, barely-there freshness and happy shape.
So Saturday night I got a craving for daffodils, and I went to the store to get some. The checker took them from me, rang them up, and then handed them back with a flourish.
"These are for you!" he joked.
Then he told me that the night before, a guy had come in, buying piles and piles of gorgeous, expensive flowers, and several boxes of chocolate.

With mock man-to-man concern, the checker asked him:
"What'd you do?"
He'd forgotten Valentine's Day.
And it took him two weeks to get around to making it up to her?
I'm not too impressed with the Johnny-come-lately, but that checker definitely had some sharp radar going on.
No comments:
Post a Comment