...God, who gives life to the dead, and calls into being that which did not exist.

~ Romans 4:17

More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

"I came to do the will of Him who sent me..."
~John 6:38

I believe that what it is I have been called to do will make itself known when I have made myself ready.
~J. Phillips

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Go to the light!

I can't decide whether to post another funny story or this really great quote I saw today. I think I'll start with the funny story.

When I was in the hospice with Grandma, I got to chatting with one of the nurses. She told me about this experience she had...

There was this lady who was really getting worn out with how long her mother was hanging on in a comatose state. So she told mer mom, "If you see a light, Mama, go toward that light! Just go towards that light. It'll be fine. Just follow the light..."

And then her husband pointed a flashlight at the wall and hollered, "There's the light, Mama! There's the light!!!"

True story.

The nurse shook her head and laughed, "I could write a book about what goes on in this place..."

3 comments:

Rosie Perera said...

Ha! Ha! Now there's a creative solution that avoids the whole physician-assisted-involuntary-suicide-euthanasia thing.

I heard another funny story about a relative of a friend of mine, an old woman in a nursing home who was pretty much completely unaware of what was going on around her, but occasionally would be responsive to her name, though mostly uttered gobbledygook. At one point her son-in-law made some mild joke at her expense in her hearing, and she cracked back, "I'm not that far gone!" and then slipped back into her senile oblivion.

Christine said...

Gads I love it!

You just never know what's going on behind the veil. It's hilarious and yet mysterious and holy by turns.

My Grandma had the same ability to do that too... mostly stuck in dementia and garbled speech... but lovely in demeanor. Then all of a sudden she'd pull out a real snappy one that was entirely coherent, usually to put my teasing Dad in his place, as she'd done with him for 35 years. It was such a kick.

Christine said...

Also reminds me of Monty Python:

"I'm not dead yet!"

"You will be soon!" [club to head]