...God, who gives life to the dead, and calls into being that which did not exist.

~ Romans 4:17

More things are wrought by prayer than this world dreams of.
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

"I came to do the will of Him who sent me..."
~John 6:38

I believe that what it is I have been called to do will make itself known when I have made myself ready.
~J. Phillips

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Svelte.


While I was in Switzerland, the physical shape I was in really got to me.

After years of running around college, Europe and a couple of cities on foot a lot of the time, I had been a neat size 4 and happy with it. But in Brasil, I drove a car all the time, it was too hot to go running except early in the morning when I was busy, and even a gym membership couldn't stop the damage. Worst of all, the mamas were always feeding us.

That was a serious issue. I was already an American eater - too much by European standards. But then these Brazilian mamas would heap the plate with mountains of rice, beans, cheese, meat, bread... carbs til you die. Heavy, German-ish food, enough to feed a local cowboy out working the range all day. All I was doing was sitting on a computer researching and writing most days, and socializing most nights. When I protested and tried to eat less, the auntie I lived with would cluck sarcastically to anyone present, "she eats like a European [the snob]."

Let's just say that after returning from Brasil, I was a size 8 for the first and hopefully only time in my life, unless I do the pregnancy thing someday.

So I went to Europe this summer and saw all the skinny Swiss and expat women and decided enough was enough. I was a little worried about changing my lifestyle enough to keep it off, but it was worth a shot.

I think there's something about a mentality shift that happens - sometimes we can try and try to do something and get nowhere, and other times it just clicks. This time, it clicked for me - and as I got a little more walking into my life and a lot more running, things started falling into place.

I love running - I have a long stride and when I'm doing well, I'm flying. I often figure out pretty good theology while I'm running, too. My favorite place to go is a hilltop preserve at the university, with its hills and incredible views of the Bay, cooled by the fog from the ocean spilling like dry ice over the foothills.

So now it's Mondays at the hilltop, Tuesdays with the crew from church (pictured), Wednesdays going easy at the university track with Zainab, and Thursdays trail running with Jessie.

As a result, I'm getting to know my tailor Nancy a lot better. And she's starting to take me seriously too. Because twice now I've gotten pants back from her and they've still been too big, and we've had to adjust them again.

I'll take it as an encouragement.

1 comment:

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.