Saint Michael the Archangel,
Defend us in this day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
And do thou, O prince of the heavenly host,
By the power of God,
Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits
Who roam through the world, seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.
Defend us in this day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
And do thou, O prince of the heavenly host,
By the power of God,
Cast into hell satan and all evil spirits
Who roam through the world, seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.
"Spiritual Warfare Prayer" written by Pope Leo XIII, after seeing a disturbing vision
I didn't realize it then, but my last post was written on the feast day of St. Michael the Archangel. I have a special affection for St. Michael, as he is known as the angel who fought and whupped the devil with his famous line, "the Lord rebuke you!"
My personal experience with that formidable angel came about a year and a half ago. I was awakened in the night by the fear of a demonic presence which I could not see. Normally this kind of experience would have me freaking out, the lights on, unable to sleep the rest of the night.
This time I ordered it out of my house in the name of Jesus - but I could feel it only backed up to the door of my room. I ordered it out a second time, at which it did nothing. Outraged by the arrogance of this demon, I called out in indignance, "Saint Michael the Archangel, defend me in battle! Bring your soldiers here and patrol every square foot of this apartment, guard every door and window, and get that demon out!"
With that, I rolled over and went back to sleep.
When I woke up in the morning, the vague memory of the night before really made me stop and think. Did that actually happen? Yes. And I'd actually slept afterward. Wow - I'd never thought of calling on Michael the Archangel. That was different. But had recently started learning the "spiritual warfare prayer", which JPII urged should be prayed daily after Mass.
On October 1st, I went to Mass to mark the feast day of my patron saint, Therese of Lisieux. I was met with great encouragement there, and afterward I went to the Catholic bookstore to look for a gift. I decided to buy a medal of St. Michael... and once I put it on, I kid you not, immediately all the confusing feelings and warfare that had been plaguing me about this confirmation on Saturday left me. I had confidence and peace the rest of the day, and that night, even after attending a really intense meeting where serious spiritual warfare was discussed, I slept like a baby.
Therese of Lisieux, St Michael the Archangel, Pope John Paul II, and Saint Francis of Assisi (more on him another time) have been my companions along this journey to joining the Catholic church. While I've been amazed at the numbers of dear people who have prayed me through this time, it has not been easy. There have been fears and confusion, people saying hurtful things (both Catholic and Protestant) and I've wondered what the big deal is anyway, if I'm already the Christian that I am. I don't really understand it. But I do know that God has been clear about what I am to do, and the support I've needed has been there abundantly.
I saw this quote this afternoon on another website, and it gave me great hope for my future:
"I believe that what it is I have been called to do will make itself known when I have made myself ready." ~ J. Phillips
Pope John Paul II was 58 years old when he found what his life was truly for. He'd already been studying and serving and loving as a bishop for 20 years, and a priest for even longer. Everything that he had done in his life as a young man was put to use, even the suffering of losing all of his family before his 21st birthday.
Yesterday my wonderful friend Maria called me from France, where she is serving as a nun. She told me, "I can't help but believe that John Paul II is very close to you right now in this process. You have so much in common with him in your integrity." What more of a blessing could I ask for right now?
No comments:
Post a Comment